Beyond Familiar Shores 2 – Page 146on January 18, 2022 at 12:01 am
My Joy Didst Turn Into Dismay…
Mea Culpa…Mea Culpa! We had a SNAFU with the hosting company that took down the site hard and deleted a few posts (which have all been reposted). But, Dan worked day and night over the last few days…and WE’RE BACK BABY!
Be here NEXT WEEK week for the MIND-BLOWING conclusion of this sequence.
Till next time!
THE DOG MADE IT!!!
I feel better now.
You actually had a moment of doubt?
No, but I try to suspend disbelief.
Also, “Screw the Humans, did the dog survive?” has been at the forefront since I saw “Old Yeller”.
Hey guys, long story short…there are some lingering issues from the outage, and so it looks like we are going to be about 24 hours late on this week’s post. Sorry.
Expect it Wednesday!
I know all about those host SNAFUs – though in the case of the site I have volunteered at for almost 15 years (Stratics, which is a 24-25 year old site devoted to Ultima Online), it was more of a FUBAR.
1. The host’s tech grabbed our server, not the one he was supposed to wipe, and was most of the way through wiping it when it was discovered.
2. The Admins had been paying for backups for 3-4 years – only to find out that the backup provider had gone belly-up 2 years prior BUT kept charging us. The same company had been collecting the yearly fees for the “ad-free” version for the same time, but apparently while the notifications would pop up that it was running out, the ad-free condition continued past the expiration date whether you paid or not, so the only ones that noticed were the ones that paid during the time the company was defunct, months too late to reverse charges.
3. We had to wait for the host to do a data recovery on our drives while the Admins threw up a “not ready for Alpha” bare bones of the site redesign that we had been working on with the intent of a 2009 release. And it was over a month later, 3 months for the actual members, and about 5-6 months to get the backups back, and realize that a LOT of the post headers were corrupted/incompatible with the new software, and or tech guys had to merge old and new accounts manually (including identifying which nameless “guest” was actually what registered poster).
4. Worse, later that year, there was a software edition change with the new forum software.
The reason we were switching from software A to software B, was that A and B had analogous free add-ons/extensions (totally different programs, but had similar effects). C (the new version of A) wasn’t going to have them, so we switched to B – only for them to announce that “D” (their new edition) was coming out and would limit those sort of 3rd party add-ons. So we ended up with “C” anyway (and by the time we transitioned back, people had written new equivalents of some (but not all) of the old add-ons for A).
In all, it was a 2-year nightmare.
Wow! Sounds like grounds for a lawsuit to get your money back.